Wednesday, October 30, 2013

At last



Plan de Paris á Vol de Oiseau, drawn by Georges Peltier between 1920-1940, a very detailed 20th-century bird's-eye view plan complete with street names and monuments.

I've wanted this map for a long, long time.  I've come across reproductions, a few that were miserably glued to board, a version without the colored border or colored Seine, a smaller version of central Paris, and once on Ebay, one half of the map (it sold!).

Oh, there are tears and bits of old tape, but nothing the maestro John at Poster Mountain can't repair. The lovely map, now in two pieces, will be mounted on cotton as a single spectacular image of Paris. I've waited so long to find my precious, but I can hardly wait to see it after a visit to the conservator!





  Bird's-eye view of Paris


 Circa 1966, a very good year.


  B-I-G! Compare to soup can pictured at bottom.


 Île de la Cité, elite charm.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm the one that bought the right half of the large plan de paris but I have had no luck finding the left hand side. My half measures 39 x 60. I know you know the pain of looking for this map so I was wondering if you would make a photocopy (at Kinko's) of the left side of your map from the Luxembourg Palace which should be the middle. It looks like I will have to live without the original left side map but I would love a good clear copy of the left side. I’ve made a copy of the right and in fact have used it in Paris as a walkabout map and it was terrific. Surprising for its age. I was very glad to know that you had found your map. Thanks for your time. Becky