Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Duane Michals



"This photograph is my proof. There was that afternoon, when things were good between us, and she embraced me, and we were so happy. It did happen. She did love me, look see for yourself!




"My shirt was wet with perspiration. The beer tasted good but I was still thirsty. Some drunk was talking loudly to another drunk about Nixon. I watched a roach walk slowly along the edge of a bar stool. On the juke box Glen Campbell began to sing about "Southern Nights." I had to go to the men's room. A derelict began to walk towards me to ask for money. It was time to leave."


Photography easily describes the exterior reality of events, people and places. The photographs of Duane Michals, especially the images combined with his writing, reflect his interior stream of consciousness. His humor and melancholy give shape and weight to the invisible.

No comments: