Friday, June 26, 2009

Summer

The popsicle was invented by an eleven year old. Sure, the original name was Eppsicle and it took many years for Frank Epperson to receive his patent for "frozen ice on a stick" and his grandchildren to rename it, but kudos to kid power.

Twin popsicles were introduced during the Great Depression, long before and completely ignored by my friend Alice and me when we split the cherry-banana version on a daily basis. Alice would break the popsicle in two, pull the cherry pop towards her, leaving the banana side for me. Neither flavor tasted like the actual fruit, but the cherry pop would leave your mouth all magenta.

5 comments:

Darla Brown said...

I had no idea about the history of the popsicle, and I was utterly intrigued to learn all about it. Very cool. I had forgotten about the double popsicle, do they still make those?

Great pic also! Keep 'em coming!

Elizabeth Fama said...

"Eppsicle" sounds like a precocious 12-month-old's attempt at pronouncing popsicle. I love the painting. How big is it?

Susan said...

Most of my gouache paintings measure 12" x 16".

Double popsicles are available, although the cherry-banana combo may be obsolete.

Precocious babies are great inventors of language.

dorothy said...

Hi susan,
Great blog! I presume this is Alice Arnett? what's she up to...

Susan said...

Yep, Alice Arnett. I don't actually know where she is or what she is doing, but Dang! she is imbedded in so many memories!